By Yoga for Mental Health Teacher Sarah Keast
While the festive season should leave us feeling upbeat and excited, this time of year can also be stressful and overwhelming as we try to keep everyone happy and cram oodles of activities into every minute of every day.
We’ve put together 6 useful tips to help you navigate yourself to calm so that you can enjoy this time of year. We’ve even come up with this useful acronym ‘BESTED’ to help you remember them!
- Be Choosy. We don’t have to attend every single social gathering or family get together. Decide what is important and holds meaning to you then decline the rest.
- Eat & Drink (in moderation). With all the delicious goodies on offer it can be hard to say no. So stick to small serves at every meal. You won’t go hungry and your digestion will thank you for it. Remember to stay hydrated especially if you’re celebrating outdoors.
- Self-Care. B-R-E-A-T-H-E. Seriously though, learn a couple of breathing exercises so that you can re-set yourself when things start getting hectic. Yoga for Mental Wellbeing will be running throughout Christmas, every Friday, 6:30pm – 7:30pm. Join us for a truly relaxing and rejuvenating experience.
- Time Out. (Me Time) Schedule time just for you over the festive period. You don’t have to spend money, go for a walk, read a book or roll out your yoga mat and do a You Tube yoga tutorial. Even better…. Book in for a class at Transform!
- Expectation Management. Behaviours and attitudes don’t change because it’s Christmas. Be realistic of what you can expect from others.
- Delegate. Yes, you’re a super hero and yes, you want everything to go smoothly BUT… get the kids, family and friends to help you out. Have a list of tasks written down so that people can help out; lay the table, wash and chop veggies (We promise that no one will care if the tomatoes are not in uniform pieces!)
This festive season be your best, stay BESTED!